Friday, July 12, 2013

2014 Newbery Predictions

Last year I put together a poster for my teachers that included the novels that online reviewers were calling "possibles" for the 2013 Newbery.  I hung a copy over the couch in the reading area, and when the Newbery Awards were announced several students rushed to check it out.  The winner, The One and Only Ivan was on the poster, so were two of the three honorees.  You can see the poster here.
Like many, I was disappointed that Wonder was not on the list of honorees, but I loved The One and Only Ivan, so I got over it. 

Here is this year's 2014 Newbery Prediction poster:

I've used ThingLink to link each book cover to the Goodreads site for the title.  If you hover your mouse over the poster, you will also see links to my sources for the list. 

If you like it, you can download the poster from Flickr.

Check out these sites for 2014 Newbery Predictions:

Goodreads Group: Mock Newbery 2014 Discussion
SLJ -  Newbery/Caldecott 2014: The Spring Prediction Edition
SLJ - Newbery/Caldecott 2014: The Summer Prediction Edition
ALSC - Notable Children's Books Nominees

I'm hoping to get a group of students involved in a Mock 2014 Newbery Award project, complete with award viewing via the ALA Mid-Winter Meeting in January 2014.  These are the sites I'll be following to as the "possibles" are discussed. 

SLJ - Heavy Medal - A Mock Newbery Blog - follow this blog from September to January for discussions about "all things Newbery."
For Those About to Mock - A Mock Newbery Blog

The fact that a book appears on any of the above lists does not mean that it is even being considered by the committee, but this many teachers and librarians discussing the best in new literature for children provide great titles, even if they are not award winners.  

What 2013 titles would you add to this poster?  Which ones have you read that you would not include?

No comments:

Post a Comment